Saturday 24 September 2011

Which Summer reading book should I read for AP World History? (Narrowed the choices down, and added details)

Things Fall Apart; by Chinua Achebe

Paperback: 224 pages

Description: Achebe's first novel portrays the collision of African and European cultures in people's lives. Okonkwo, a great man in Igbo traditional society, cannot adapt to the profound changes brought about by British colonial rule. Yet, as in classic tragedy, Okonkwo's downfall results from his own character as well as from external forces.



The World that Trade Created; by Kenneth Pomeranz

Paperback: 287 pages

Description: The new edition of this fascinating book reveals the answers to tantalizing questions about society, culture, and the world economy. Brief, highly readable vignettes bring to life international trade and its actors--including migrants and merchants, pirates and privateers, sailors and slaves.



Bad Samaritans; by Ha-Joon Chang

Hardcover: 288 pages

Description: Using irreverent wit, an engagingly personal style, and a battery of examples, Chang blasts holes in the %26quot;World Is Flat%26quot; orthodoxy of Thomas Friedman and other liberal economists who argue that only unfettered capitalism and wide-open international trade can lift struggling nations out of poverty.







I would preferrably want an easy-read book out of all these choices that you can finish quick, because I would like to finish it in 2 weeks or a lot less if possible, because I have alot going on soon. I really don't want to read anything to do with war, it bores me, or anything with specific dates everywhere. I like things using technology, or culture, or something that can relate to us humans today, or 20-21'st century stuff, so if anybody has any suggestions I need help quick! Also, If you can please tell me why you enjoyed the books you liked so I can have a better understanding on what they're about. I know I've asked this question like twice already but I just want more feedback.




Which Summer reading book should I read for AP World History? (Narrowed the choices down, and added details)
Things Fall Apart is an easy read BUT the names are hard to remember because they are African. You will be able to finish in well under two weeks. Just make yourself a little chart or family tree so you can remember the characters. Once you do that, and make a few notes as to the events, you will get through it easily. Pax-C