Saturday 24 September 2011

Feedback anyone?

I'm trying out to give a speech for my graduation tomorrow. Can you guys tell me if you like it. The theme is dare to be great. Thanks =]





Lets take a trip down memory lane for a moment; your first day of school, the first time you rode a bike by yourself, your first real vacation, moving to middle school, your first real crush, your first relationship, the first time you got behind the wheel, when our football team went to state last year TIDE FOOTBALL REPRESENT!, prom night, and tonight; June 5th, 2008 our graduation. All of these things were great memories that we will cherish forever, but I want to encourage everybody in this room to continue to dare to be great.

Some people might think that graduating from high school is rather easy; I tend to disagree with that notion. On September 7th, 2004 I set foot on Liberty High Schools campus, I had the same thing in mind as I stuck my nametag on a huge piece of butcher paper that read the class of 2008. I look back now thinking how naive I was. At the tender age of fourteen school had always been easy for me; I got mostly A鈥檚 and only a few B鈥檚; I loved English, I hated math, I was involved in band, and sports I really enjoyed school up until that year.

By the time Christmas break rolled around that year, I dreaded getting up in the morning to get ready for school. It seemed as if my life had taken a spiral down the toilet. My grandma who I was very close with and had been until that point was terminally ill, I had to go visit her on the weekends in her hospital room and it鈥檚 hard to see somebody you love suffering so immensely at fourteen, when you can comprehend what鈥檚 going on. She ended up passing on that year. I lost touch with almost all my close friends in middle school and had no new friends at my new school. I was counting down the days until the summer of 2005.

School only got worse from that point on, sophomore year I had a lot of tough classes and had emotional break downs a few times a month. I wasn鈥檛 close with my teachers and they made life harder than it needed to be. Junior year was by far the worst year of my entire life. I hated school because I was harassed every single day; by teachers, by my peers, and I鈥檓 known as the peppy girl around school, well this time last year I鈥檇 come home and cry just about every single day last year. I didn鈥檛 recognize myself and honestly I thought that I鈥檇 never graduate because I hated school so much that I couldn鈥檛 go for the fear of getting beat up. My family didn鈥檛 recognize me; they鈥檇 ask me what had happened to our peppy Amanda, and I鈥檇 say she鈥檚 not here anymore; honestly I was miserable.

On Memorial day weekend last year, I decided that I needed a change. I remembered how much I used to love school and now I just knew that I wouldn鈥檛 graduate. So I decided to transfer schools. People thought I was nuts but I knew that I needed to do it.

Mrs. Laugner accepted my transfer and I came to Glencoe. I knew that if I hadn鈥檛 gotten that transfer accepted that I would have ended up dropping out. My first day of school my senior year was amazing. I was finally happy and the change was hard but I decided that I wanted to dare to be great.

Now I鈥檓 standing up here speaking to you; if I hadn鈥檛 dared to be great I could be flipping burgers at a fast food restaurant right now. I wouldn鈥檛 be attending my dream college in the fall, and I wouldn鈥檛 be pursuing a degree in education. I plan on becoming a teacher because I dare to make other people鈥檚 lives great.

So I鈥檓 encouraging you, the class of 2008 to go out there and do something great. Not only do something great for yourselves, but make a difference in somebody else鈥檚 life. I hope that my story inspired you guys so that you know that when life is tough that you can push through that and keep pressing forward towards your goal. Don鈥檛 ever give up on your dreams, don鈥檛 let anyone tell you that you can鈥檛 do it. But most importantly, dare to be great the class of 2008, dare to be great.
Feedback anyone?
awsome speech may need a few modifications though love it
Feedback anyone?
Overall good. Sum up the personal aspects....remember you moved on to another school for a reason. 50% of your speech is about your struggle. I understand the point you want to get across, but the same point can be made in 2-3 short sentences.



Also, I suggest providing some example of what you consider %26quot;great%26quot; See below:



%26quot;So I鈥檓 encouraging you, the class of 2008 to go out there and do something great. get a college degree, join the military, open a business, volunteer. Do something great for yourself...(pause)but (pause) make a difference in somebody else鈥檚 life (pause) and it will improve the quality of your life AND another's.%26quot;



Add a joke in the beginning. This is after all your last chance to poke fun at a teacher! LOL.