Saturday 4 June 2011

What are some really good books to read? ?

I like realistic fiction books on people%26#039;s lives that are different then mine. I don%26#039;t want to read a book about a middle class white girl that goes to school in a town that nothing ever happens in.





A list of life changing (or just really really good) fiction books would be appreciated.





Some I%26#039;ve read and loved (to know what kind of books I%26#039;m talking about)





Bright Shiny Morning


Memoirs of a Geisha


Running with Scissors


Water For Elephants|||The Perks Of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


Leftovers by Laura Weiss


A Million Little Pieces by James Frey


My Friend Leonard by James Frey


Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom


Mysterious Skin by Scott Heim


Carry Me Down by M.J. Hyland


The Burn Journals by Brent Runyon


Flowers In The Attic by V.C. Andrews


I Never Promsied You a Rose Garden by Joanne Greenberg


White Oleander by Janet Finch


Falling Man by Don Delillo


The Road by Cormac Mccarthy


When Madeline was Young by Jane Hamilton


Map Of The World by Jane Hamilton


Hillbilly Gothic by Adrienne Martini


Like We Used To Be by Jane Stubbs


When the Elephants Dance by Tess Uriza Holthe


The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini


The History Of Love by Nicole Krauss


Songs Without Words by Ann Packer


The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nighttime by Mark Haddon


Dead Poet%26#039;s Society by N.H. Kleinbaum


If I should Die Before I Wake by Michelle Morris





Just a few of my ever growing list of favorites :)


Glad to see someone who likes Running With Scissors :) It%26#039;s one of my favorites as well. Also, I see that you liked Bright Shiny Morning, but I wasn%26#039;t sure if you read James%26#039; others, so I put them on the list too :)|||Lessee..depending on your age...





Ferris Beach by Jill McCorkle


A Tree Grows in Brooklyn


Amalee by Dar Williams (a shortie but a goodie)





Those are all around the teenager mark. Dunno if that%26#039;s your age group, but those are some I read, and have read since.|||Wasted by Marya Hornbacher is riveting!


The Kite Runner


The Origin of Satan|||Siddhartha


Perks of Being a Wallflower


Hitchhiker%26#039;s Guide to the Galaxy


Catcher in the Rye


Tithe


Less that Zero


The Book Thief


The Count of Monte Cristo


Go Ask Alice (really short, but good)


Wuthering Heights|||Chris Crutcher. He writes the kind of books that you%26#039;re describing. Real situations and he doesn%26#039;t sugarcoat the issues. Check out his website: http://chriscrutcher.com/ It has a list of all his books as well as exerpts from some of them. I don%26#039;t know exactly what you%26#039;re looking for but I would recommend you start with Stotan or Running Loose.|||Shabunu- good book about life for a middle easter woman.


Forever...-judy blume this book changed myy life!


Dreamland-Sarah Dessen amazin!


Just Listen - Sarah Dessen Amazing





Glad to help.|||Looking For Alaska by John Green. An amazing book!! Changed my life in some ways. I don%26#039;t have many other good suggestions but that was great.|||Well, this book is my favourite and when I read it I cried.. It is the sad story about a boy getting abused my his OWN MOTHER.... It teaches me to cherish what i got right now.. the book is-


A child called%26#039;IT%26#039;


Th lost Boy


A man named Dave


they all by David Pelzer|||Hi, I see that lots of people answering this question mention contemporary books. I, on the other hand, would like to propose a classic: Lev Tolstoy%26#039;s War and Peace.





It is set in Russia, at the beginning of the 1800s and it is a marvelous and unrivaled work of fiction.


It is very long and extremely rich in texture.


The historical setting is perfectly rendered and each of the characters is developed with incredible richness. This is a book that has not ceased to fascinate people for the last 100 years or so, and this for many good reasons.





You will give yourself one of the best present ever by reading it.|||Strega, Blue Belle and Hard Candy...by Andrew Vachss


Bastard out a Carolina......................by Dorothy Allison


Illusions: The Adventures Of A Reluctant Messiah ....Richard Bach


The Celestine Prophecy................William Redfield


|||War of the Worlds-H.G.Wells


1984-George Orwell


Animal Farm-George Orwell


Fahrenheit 451-Ray Bradbury


Frakenstein-Mary Shelly





You can get most if not all of these books at your local library, and if you can%26#039;t for one reason or another than check out this online library www.truly-free.org . It%26#039;s legal.


Enjoy and good luck.


|||The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Neffenigger


Last Chance by Sarah Dessen


Best of Fathers by Anne Baker


The Knitting Circle by Ann Hood


Cell by Stephen King


My Sister%26#039;s Keeper by Jodi Picoult


Before I Die by Jenny Downham


Swimming with the Fishes and Swimming without a net by MaryJanice Davidson


Inkheart and Inkspell by Cornelia Funkt


Ingo series by Helen Dunmore


Jane Eyre


Gulliver%26#039;s Travels by Johnathan Swift


Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill


Lord of the Flies and The Inheritors by William Golding


No! I don鈥檛 want to join a Book Club by Virgina Ironside


Gods Behaving Badly by Marie Phillips


Innocent Traitor by Alison Weir......and her other books





Mr McGreggor, The Last Lighthouse Keeper, Animal Instincts, Only Dad, Rosie, Love and Dr Devon all by Alan Titchmarsh





Anything by Stephen King, John Saul, John Connolly, James Herbert and Alexander McCall Smith





The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind starts with Wizards First Rule





The Dark Tower series by Stephen King starts with The Gunslinger





All the Harry Potter books


|||I am currently recommending The Secret Life of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd, to anyone and everyone. It is realistic fiction, and things definitely happen, in addition to a great emotional sweep.





Oh, and regarding Mutly%26#039;s answer: I read Deadline recently, and it was very good, and if Crutcher%26#039;s other books are similar you%26#039;ll probably like them.|||I have just finished The five people you meet in heaven. I could not put it down!